Wednesday, July 20, 2016

ME VERSUS THE STAIRS


Image result for randolph macon academyThis week I am providing leadership classes at Randolph Macon Academy in Front Royal, Virginia for 42 senior leader cadets from many different Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) programs. The campus of the academy is in beautiful Front Royal Virginia on top of a hill. The mountains are relaxing to the eyes. The town is peaceful and the grass and area is well kept.

Each day is packed full of training for cadets. The days are constantly busy and there is constant movement by cadets and staff all day long. There are classes being taught, practices for graduation being conducted, and physical training held at least 3-4 times this week.  Unforeseen issues such as illness, and leadership challenges occur daily with cadets.

Image result for JROTCAddressing the needs and training of the cadets can be time consuming.   It can be easy to procrastinate your own personal goals, and justify your decision making, or lack there of on being too busy handling camp issues to take actions.

One of my mentors John Maxwell encourages leaders in a presentation he gives on the 15 Laws of Growth to get a win everyday.




Too often we convince ourselves we don't have time to win. We are too busy to win. It is too much going on to win. There is not enough time today to win.

Winning gives us confidence. Winning encourages us that we have what it takes, and that we can win again. Big wins are simply made of group of small wins.

I taught 4 hours of leadership classes today, and participated in a graduation practice in the humid July weather.  I was focused on ensuring I worked out physically consistently throughout the week.
I had already ran, and done an arm workout this week. Today I planned to work out with the corps of cadets during the schedule physical fitness activity highlighted on the training schedule.  However, right in the middle of the physical fitness event I had planned to entertain a call from a fellow leadership coach that wanted to discuss some issues with me.  All of a sudden I had an excuse. After the lengthy conversation and a bit of time playing on my phone I had just over an hour and a half to workout, shower, get something to eat and report for a 10pm to 2am duty watch.

Why not just rest and just chill ? Enjoy life. I'm over forty, and I'm in good shape.  I can more than afford not to workout.  NO !!  I got up and ran to the top of the steps in the building and set my watch to the chrono position and hit start. I didn't even grab my mp3 player. I started running up and down the five flight of stairs in the building I am staying in. The first 7 minutes were not bad. I began to sweat. My legs starting to get tired and to feel heavy.

Image result for running steps

Cadets were traveling up and down the stairs to go socialize on the bottom floor where the game room was located. As I was running several of them asked me if I had change to break a 20 or 10 dollar bill so they could get things out of the vending machine. My goals was to get a good work out in and to work a part of my body I had not worked the previous day.

I ran for 20 minutes up and down those stairs as cadets constantly past me saying "Good evening Sir.",  "Good Evening Major Wright", "How are you doing Sir ?" Once I finished doing some push -ups to finish up my work out I had just enough time to take a shower and get dressed and report for duty.

I got my win in today. I remained focused and consistent. It might be a small win, but its still a win. It's a step toward a successful journey. A marathon is 26 miles of small steps. Today I took a bunch of small steps toward my goal of remaining healthy.

What small win do you want to accomplish today ?

What will it mean to you when you accomplish that goal ?

Why is it important that you accomplish this small goal ?

If you consistently worked at achieving a small win consistently in a certain area of your life what goal would you achieve ?

No comments:

Post a Comment